Super Duper Games Forum Index Super Duper Games
SDG Community Forums
 
  Back to SDGBack to SDG   SDG WikiSDG Wiki   RSS FeedRSS Feed    DigestsDigests
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

interesting mancala games

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Super Duper Games Forum Index -> Feedback & Suggestions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
MarkSteere
Designer
Designer


Joined: 16 Mar 2006
Posts: 645
Location: Palo Alto

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: interesting mancala games Reply with quote

FiveStars wrote:
Well, there a many modern games that I would like to see, so deciding which games to recommend is a very difficult task ...


A quick scan of the games on SDG will reveal that Aaron has rejected traditional games such as Chess, Checkers, Go, and Mancala. Also absent are modern variants of such games such as Nackgammon, Antigammon, etc., which are only minor variations of the original. Fortunately for me, Aaron doesn't exclude all new games which employ traditional equipment.

FiveStars wrote:
Aaron has already given all of us so much joy and love thru his amazing SDG project.


Aaron's good work has had a direct, positive impact on my life. In the span of 13 years between 1992 and 2005, I released four games. Then during 2006 I released four more games, including my most elegant design (if I may say so), Copolymer. And the year isn't over yet. This major ramping up in production was inspired by Aaron first programming one of my games, Byte, in 2005.

Personally I would not suggest any game the programming of which would require a compromise in the standards Aaron has clearly set for SDG. I especially would not want to see the floodgates opened on the hundreds of Mancala games, most of which are only minor variations of each other.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Aaron
Site Admin
Site Admin


Joined: 16 Mar 2006
Posts: 2473
Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is true that I have saved my time for less traditional games. I intend to continue this process. That should not discourage anyone from adding any suggestions whatever to the wishlist though (http://wiki.superdupergames.org/wishlist). I have no intrinsic dislike for more traditional games and their variants. I will always support third-party development regardles of the game (within reason) so the floor is always open to others to code up such games. Due to my limited time, however, I cannot guarantee that such games will be tackled personally. If one really grabs my interest it will move further up the priority list.

I just don't want anyone to feel personally slighted if a suggestion they have made doesn't get looked at for a while (or even a long while). Due to limited time I have to prioritize and do so based on a number of criteria (not in any order):

* original-ness
* whether or not it's implemented elsewhere
* whether or not I'm personally interested in playing it
* whether or not there's a general demand for it
* Does it pose an interesting coding challenge?

Decisions are also swayed by whether or not the developer is a member of the community, and other such things. It is certainly a subjective process and I hope everyone understands why that is.

Anyway, my 2 cents Smile *double-checks what the wiki wishlist says about this process*
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Laurie_Menke



Joined: 16 Mar 2006
Posts: 790

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 2:02 am    Post subject: Re: intersting games Reply with quote

FiveStars wrote:
SDG was utterly boring for most of us until Diffusion was added, but is still disappointing because there are only two mancalagames implemented. So, what I want to say is, if more mancala games are added here, SDG will attract a lot more people who are specifically interested in this kind of games.


Ralf, I am glad you are here at SDG and I am enjoying learning 55Stones. It is a good game. But I strongly disagree with your judgment of SDG as "utterly boring" and "disappointing." Aaron has worked very hard to bring in a continuous stream of new and interesting games...yours included. It seems rather ungrateful of you to attack the site that is giving you and your game such good exposure.

I see from your homepage that 55Stones and Diffusion are the only games you've played on SDG. I highly encourage you to try some of the other games...I think you'll find them anything but boring.

If you'd like suggestions for where to start, I would suggest Alak (another one-dimensional game), Abande or Attangle (created by another German SDG member), Blam! (one of many pyramid games), Pulling Strings (another game with simultaneous movement), or Zendo (a game of logic). Enjoy! Very Happy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Laurie_Menke



Joined: 16 Mar 2006
Posts: 790

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 2:45 am    Post subject: Re: intersting games Reply with quote

FiveStars wrote:
Laurie_Menke wrote:
FiveStars wrote:
SDG was utterly boring for most of us until Diffusion was added, but is still disappointing because there are only two mancalagames implemented. So, what I want to say is, if more mancala games are added here, SDG will attract a lot more people who are specifically interested in this kind of games.


Ralf, I am glad you are here at SDG and I am enjoying learning 55Stones. It is a good game. But I strongly disagree with your judgment of SDG as "utterly boring" and "disappointing."



Please, don't quote my words out of context. This is very manipulative and I HATE IT!

I wrote:

"The mancala forum on Yahoo! is the most active general gaming forum (not just related to a single game), not just because of my own contributions, but because so many of us have something to tell. SDG was utterly boring for most of us until Diffusion was added, but is still disappointing because there are only two mancalagames implemented."

So, "us" was related to most members of the mancala forum, no the SDG members.

Ralf


Quoting your entire post so as not to lose any important context. I understood that the "us" was the members of the mancala forum. It was still an ungrateful comment, in my opinion. It didn't matter which group felt that way. I do not appreciate your tone or your judgment of me as being "manipulative." If you got to know me at all, I think you would find that I am extremely straightforward and forthright.

I am also a strong believer in diplomacy. Therefore, I'm going to assume that your comment was just because you were upset. I apologize for upsetting you, Ralf. I wish you all the best here at SDG and in the rest of your life.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MarkSteere
Designer
Designer


Joined: 16 Mar 2006
Posts: 645
Location: Palo Alto

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let it go, Laurie. You're only supplying troll fodder at this point.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Laurie_Menke



Joined: 16 Mar 2006
Posts: 790

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. No, Ralf, I'm not a member of the Yahoo mancala group.

2. I'm glad to hear that you, having tried so many games, find several of the SDG games worthy of praise. Smile

3. Yes, Mark, I am letting it go. I won't be continuing this thread any more. Smile
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Aaron
Site Admin
Site Admin


Joined: 16 Mar 2006
Posts: 2473
Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) The process of game selection is highly subjective, there is no doubt. I don't expect anyone to read my mind as to what is interesting or not. Unfortunately because I don't do this full time and am not able to implement a game a day, my choices can seem somewhat capricious. I've just taken it as understood that items on the wishlist can linger indefinitely. I've never forbidden personal, direct emails either in an attempt to convince me either. I can be quite pliable actually Smile

2) Your point about attracting others is well taken. That was a primary reason behind implementing Homeworlds, for example. There was just such a large interest in the game. That said, since attracting more players doesn't mean more time or money for me, it is not a primary reason to choose a game. It remains, however, one of many considerations I take into account. (Homeworlds also happened to be a game I was extremely interested in myself and offered multiple stimulating challenges.)

Finally, in regards to the tone of this thread and others I will not yet reply in great length. I am still kind of in shock and not sure how to proceed. I understand that you and Mark have had history, but dredging that up here seems a little much. Mark has tried to make his peace with you personally and I have to say, my communication with him has been nothing but kind, supportive, and more than civil. I have simply assumed to this point that your...emotionality, for lack of a better word, was due to this history. But now you've let loose on, in my opinion, one of the kindest, most easy-going, most fun and pleasant people in our little family, namely Laurie........I've gone on too long. I will reply more fully later after I've had time to process.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
MarkSteere
Designer
Designer


Joined: 16 Mar 2006
Posts: 645
Location: Palo Alto

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In recent days I posted notice of Ralf's tendency to dominate forums with his unlimited free time and rhetoric, as well as his temper tantrums. It didn't take long for these points to bear out.

If allowed to stay, Ralf will turn this once peaceful forum into Normandy.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Super Duper Games Forum Index -> Feedback & Suggestions All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group